Glen Keane’s 7 Animation Essentials
1. Make a Positive Statement
- Do not be ambiguous in your approach.
- Thumbnail until you have that clear approach and conviction.
- Be bold and decisive.
2. Animate From the Heart
- Feel your drawings.
- Let your action be an extension of how you believe the character feels.
- Put yourself in the place of the character your animating- associate.
3. Make Expressions and Attitudes Real and Living
- Focus on the eyes and eyebrows, mouth and cheeks.
- Always lead with the eyes.
- Be sure the eyes are solid and placed securely in the head.
- Study your own attitudes. Ask yourself, “Does this drawing feel the way my face feels?”
4. Draw As If You Were Sculpting
- Describe the forms in dimension.
- Understand the character design in 3D.
5. Animate the Forces
- Allow the momentum of and already animated movement to suggest the next drawing.
- Draw the leading edge of forces.
6. Visualize and Feel Dialogue
- Be sure you are truly capturing the inflection, volume and tone of the dialog with proper mouth shapes.
- What is the essence of your scene, your action, your expression — what is indispensable in communicating your thought?
A glorious fuck-ton of facial expressions [Part 1].
And before people jump on me, I did my best to look for a larger demographic for skin colour, but the ones I did find were either blurry, didn’t display as many emotions as the ones above, were poorly cropped, or weren’t very diverse in expression. I really did try; I searched for a while before my impulse to chillax and post what I had overrode my determination. But chill for a while, ‘cause there’ll be a part 2 in the very near future, and I’ll try to include ‘em then. I’ll see what I can find. Cheers.
[From various sources]
It struck me that Society6 seems to be much better for selling shorts and cute products than for selling prints, so I went back yesterday and re-formatted my Cooking Hannibal print to work well for all shirt colors and various pillows, mugs, phone cases, etc.!
It should now look great in any color you want! Theoretically!
A coolio fuck-ton of female arm angle references.
Credit goes to melsrefs (on tumblr). You should flood Mel’s inbox with fanmail so s/he’ll make more of these epic references.